How I Get Stuff Done and Stay Motivated. ♥

Wednesday, 1 March 2017


Hey,
It's a new month, we're in March and before we know it we'll be starting a new week. Even though it's Hump Day I thought I'd share my tips and ways I get stuff done and stay motivated. We all love a productive week, where we get our sh#t together, and do everything that we need to get done, whether that be getting stuff done job wise, university, blog, or whatever. This shoe will fit someone. It certainly fits me over the past week. I've been procrastinating so bad, I've needed to get so much done work and blog wise but somehow I've managed to spend most of my evenings internet shopping, I bought this, this and these by the way how cute! Or I've spent hours on Pinterest, which always sucks me in. So yesterday evening, I thought, right, that's it. I'm getting sh#t done and I did a few things that helped me get it together and stay motivated. So I thought I'd share my tips and tricks with you guys!


1. Make lists - this is something that always motivates me. Whether it be lists written down in a notebook, or on my iPhone (something which I'm doing more often these days) to do lists work so well for me. I just love being able to visually see everything that I need to do, and it's the most satisfying feeling ever ticking or crossing out when you've done something! Another top tip I have for to do lists, is to prioritise in order of importance, so at the top of your to do list would be stuff you need to get done as soon as possible, and it would go down in order of least importance! By this I mean -

To Do List: 
Pay phone bill
Ring the friend I've been meaning to call for weeks
Post parcel sold on eBay
Feed the dog
Book spa day for me and that friend I've been meaning to call for ages
Reply to comments on Instagram
Plan blog posts

Prioritised To Do List -
Pay phone bill
Feed the dog
Post parcel sold on eBay
Plan blog posts
Ring the friend I've been meaning to call for weeks
Reply to comments on Instagram
Book spa day for me and that friend I've been meaning to call for ages

Another good way of using To Do Lists to your advantage is to allocate specific tasks for specific dates. So Monday - pay the phone bill, post eBay parcel, Tuesday - plan blog posts, ring friend I've been meaning to call for weeks. Again this is a way you can prioritise tasks that need to be done sooner. I love creating To do Lists, they're something I use every day to stay organised and motivated.


2. Use your diary/calendar - I use and rely on my calendar and gorgeous Cath Kidston Diary which you can find here ,daily. I find it so helpful for keeping track of appointments, deadlines, and just general daily life. Basically if it's not in my diary then it's not happening! I especially love my Cath Kidston diary because it has a week by week view for the entire year with big spaces allocated for each day and a large section dedicated to making notes, which I find so helpful to make To Do Lists on. It's amazing and I keep on track of my life this way, we're all human so we're bound to forget something whereas your diary or calendar will remind you of things you've got coming up. I use a different diary for my blog, that way I can keep on track of posts that are scheduled for a certain day, and plan ahead as well as stay on top of tasks that need to be done. Using a diary or calendar is a great way of being organised with University too! I couldn't have lived without an academic diary when I was at uni. If you haven't got a diary, invest in one. You won't regret it and you can get them super cheap these days.

3. Get enough sleep - this speaks for itself really. When you've got things to do, and deadlines to meet yet you only had 3 hours sleep last night because you were binge watching Breaking Bad on Netflix #truestory, the last thing you're going to want to do is your uni assignment, or reply to important work emails. Be kind to yourself, get plenty of sleep and you'll feel motivated to do the things you need to do.



4. Give yourself regular breaks - This one is huge for me! If ever I'm working on something, whether it be my blog or something work related, I always give myself regular breaks. I do this by allocating time specifically for working, for example from 6-7pm I'll work on my blog and at 7pm I'll watch something on Netflix for an hour, before working again from 8pm-9pm. This way I stay motivated and don't burn myself out by working too hard without a break in between. This is especially true when I was at uni, often when writing an assignment, I'd work for a few hours on the assignment and then go for a walk with the dog, or have a bowl of ice cream just to take my mind of it and then I'd return feeling refreshed. Honestly this tip works so much, give it a try!

5. Have snacks on the go - this speaks for itself really. The last thing on your mind when you're hungry is working and getting stuff done. Have snacks beside you while you're working, it's so much easier! Have a Malteser every time you write a word, when writing a blog post..or maybe not lol.

6. Stay Inspired- If you aren't inspired to do something, you won't do it. Simple. Pinterest, although it sucks me in, helps me stay inspired whether it be work or blogging wise. Also reading other blogs helps me to stay inspired.  Also, another thing that always helps me to stay inspired is carrying a notebook everywhere with me, that way if I see something that catches my eye I can note it down, if I'm at a meeting and somebody says something that I agree with, I note it down. If you're in a lecture at uni, and you find something useful write it down! Notebooks are perfect for that! If you aren't a notebook person, you could always use the notes section of your phone to quickly note down inspiration! Staying inspired helps you to get stuff done without even realising it. Here are some pretty notebooks that you might want to have a peek at 1,2,3.


7. Make time for yourself, don't make everything about work - This is a big one for me. I lead a really busy life, I work quite a stressful job full time, and I also try my best to blog full time too. It can be really crazy at times and often I end up feeling burnt out, and exhausted. Something I've been doing more recently is making time for myself. It was one of my 2017 goals to have more "me time" that way you don't feel like you're punishing yourself constantly with workload. If work gets too much sometimes, I like to have a bubble bath with lots of Soap & Glory, light some candles and relax. Even though it's important to get stuff done, you simply cannot stay motivated if you're exhausted and working too hard. So make time for yourself.

8. Turn your phone off - This is a huge one too! Have you ever had so much to do, and you really don't want to do it? So you think, oh I'll just check Twitter and see what people are up to, oh can't forget Instagram, oh so that girl is now with him, let's check his profile, oh no way, that's his ex. Oh isn't his exes dog cute. Let's look at her profile and see more pics of her cute dog. OMG so cute. 4 hours later and you end up on a major stalking sesh that has added nothing to your life and you haven't got anything done! My solution for this, although it may be hard, is to turn your phone off completely, or if you can't do that, then at least log out of social media until you've done everything you've got to do that way you get no notifications or distractions!

9- If all else fails, don't beat yourself up - We're only human. Nobody is superhuman and gets everything done, without slipping up every once in a while. Eat that ice cream and watch Gilmore Girls, life is too short. But make yourself a promise that you'll try your best to stay motivated next time! :)

I hope you've found today's tips useful. What are your top tips for staying motivated and getting stuff done? 
Sharna
xo 
♥ 

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme